For The Love of Chocolate!
COCOA - THE MIRACLE SUPER-FOOD
Cocoa is one of the nature's many miracles! In fact, it is one of the most sought after super-foods! It makes other super-foods pale in comparison.
Cocoa is a titan of health benefits and may be more protective for your body than most people realize.
Along with its well-established role in the manufacturing of chocolate, the healing and medicinal benefits of cocoa have been appreciated since the ancient Mayan and Aztec civilizations.
Cocoa contains over 700 known compounds out of which the antioxidant compounds are of particular interest to scientists. In the human body, these compounds prevent reactive oxygen species (ROS) from destroying cells and causing premature aging and disease.
It is especially rich in polyphenols, a group of protective antioxidant compounds known for their beneficial influence on cardiovascular health.
Cocoa is also rich in minerals such as iron, magnesium, calcium, phosphorous, copper and manganese. It is a good source of selenium, potassium, zinc, and it provides the body with carbohydrates, protein, and dietary fiber.
It offers anti-inflammatory, anti-allergenic, anti-carcinogenic and antioxidant qualities and has demonstrated positive effects by imparting numerous health benefits.
Health benefits of cocoa include but are not limited to:
Lowers high blood pressure
Improved brain health
Balances cholesterol levels
Relieves bronchial asthma
Speeds up healing
Improves cardiovascular health
Reduces chronic fatigue syndrome
In other words, you can have your cocoa AND eat it too!
We're sharing our love for chocolate with a few clean and healthy cocoa recipes - try one... or all!
Let us know which is your favorite and don't forget to subscribe! :)
Cocoa Coconut Banana Bread
2 overripe mashed bananas
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp coconut extract
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup canned organic coconut milk
3 1/2 tbsp coconut butter
2/3 cup organic raw honey
1/8 tsp uncut stevia
1 3/4 cup spelt flour, loosely packed
1/2 cup shredded coconut, optional
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp raw organic cocoa powder
1/2 cup mini dark chocolate chips for decoration, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a 9×5 loaf pan very well, going up the sides.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the first 8 ingredients
3. In a separate bowl, combine all remaining ingredients and stir very well.
4. Pour dry into wet ingredients, and stir until just evenly combined.
5. Transfer the batter to the loaf pan and spread out evenly.
5. If desired, sprinkle chocolate chips over the top of the banana bread and press down.
6. Bake 35 minutes. Then turn off the oven but DON’T open the door! Let sit 10 additional minutes in the closed oven before removing and slicing.
7. This banana bread tastes even s